It has been several weeks since I have shared anything about our big bedroom swap around project…over the next few weeks, though, I intend to share with you several of our construction, painting, and decorating projects that we have been slowly but surely plugging away on. Today, I am excited to share with you my new closet!

You may remember from this post about our plan for the master bedroom, that the biggest project we decided to undertake was putting a walk-in closet at one end of our awkwardly long basement bedroom. If you don’t remember, click here to see before pictures of the empty room and some of our design decisions, and click here to see pictures of the way this room has been arranged for the past couple of years.

So, here is where the closet used to be:

And, here is the space where the new closet will be:As I mentioned in this post, since we we already undertaking framing a new wall and hanging new drywall, we also decided to raise the ledge which went around room’s exterior walls. Here is the old ledge height:Here is the height of the new ledge after framing:

And here is the new closet wall:

And then came drywall, and drywall mud, and sanding, and drywall mud, and sanding, and drywall mud, and sanding…and lots of dust all over the house.Not a lot of pictures to log that messy progression…but here is the room after priming:

(and hanging the board and batten, if you couldn’t tell):

How did we decide how to space the board and batten? Knowing we wanted a vertical piece on each side of the window, we hung those, and then centered another one between them. This meant the spacing between each slat was 22 inches…we used this as a guide for spacing the slats around the rest of the room. Rather than wrapping around the corner, we did some experimenting with where on the other wall the slats could be spaced at 22 inches without interfering with any of the 3 outlets or the phone hook-up.And, drumroll please…HERE IS THE NEW CLOSET!!!

-:-

If you are new to my Big Bedroom Swap Around Project, click on the following links to get caught up:

Click here for an overview of and introduction to our project.

Check out this post about the ways we determined bedroom #1 was not really meeting our needs as our guestroom/sewing room.

Check out this post about the ways we determined bedroom #2 was not really meeting our needs as a nursery.

Check out this post about the ways we determined bedroom #3 was not really meeting our needs as our master bedroom.

Check out this post about our new plan to make bedroom #1 our master bedroom.

Check out this post about our new plan to make bedroom #2 my sewing room.

Click here to see what our needs were for the bedroom #3 and click here to find out our plans to make it a kids’ room SLASH guestroom.

And click here to see the kid’s room all painted and ready to move into.

-:-

  1. Grammy Sammy says:

    What a great use of space, but you keep saying “MY” closet 🙂 so where will Hubby put his clothes?

  2. Alisha says:

    He He….I didn’t even notice I was saying that. Rod doesn’t mind the hoe suspended from a ladder closet arrangement we have going on right now…and in that sense, this is MY closet. But I will happily share (and we’ll have the space for it!!!!) …in fact, one of things I am most looking forward to is a designated place for his uniforms and abundance of gear and being able to separate his “play clothes” from nice clothes so that he’ll quit wearing his nicest pants for yard work and construction. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>