A couple weeks ago, I shared some pictures chronicling the construction of the new walk-in closet in what is to be our master bedroom. This week, I am excited to share the continued progression of our master bedroom!

I LOVE getting to the painting step. It is so rewarding…after weeks and weeks of work, prep-work, re-working plans, and then working some more, paint just pulls it all together.

We chose a grayish green color for the walls. On the paint sample card it definitely looked more gray than green (what we were going for). Thinking we would need right at a gallon of paint to cover the walls in the bedroom and closet, but perhaps slightly more, we also mixed in the leftover grayish paint from our bathroom remodel project. Still, it turned out very green. If I had to name it, I’d call this color “murky lake water”. And I say that it a very affectionate way…native Nebraskans living in Colorado, we miss our muddy murky lakes…so the color certainly adds to the feel of “HOME” that I am going for in decorating this room.After the wall paint had dried, we hung the molding…crown:a ledge (we re-used the same routered piece of wood that was on the ledge before…with a bit of sanding and patchwork):door casing:and baseboard:I am particularly fond of the corner pieces the hubby whipped up. These sell for $10 a piece at the store, but cost pretty much nothing if you make them yourself from scraps of wood and crown.After patching up the nail holes, and caulking in around the edges, the paint gives it quite a finished look.And then it was time to roll out the carpet!I am very pleased with the contrast of murky lake water and clean white paints!The room did present a few challenges. As I have mentioned before, we are pretty sure this was once two bedrooms that the previous owners connected as one. This meant that the support beams met up with the door quite awkwardly. Here is how it looked before:We added a bit of wood (an extra piece of board and batten we had purchased) and drywall mud to make the wall even with the door jam and extended it all the way to the ceiling. It is still awkward……but I think it is much improved.So here is a recap of our work so far: This is what the closet end of this room looked like when we first saw our house:And here is what it looks like now:Here is the bedroom side before:…and after:Immediately after snapping these pictures, we moved our bed, dresser, nightstand AND all the junk that we had been storing in the sewing room down to this room, as we had company coming the next day and needed all rooms to be free for guests. Since the closet is not yet finished, it is quite cluttered: what should be in the closet hung on a hoe suspended between the ledge and a ladder and stuffed in boxes and baskets which line the room between the bed and the wall on all sides.

However, as I write, my dad and Selah’s dad are working to construct our closet shelving system. By this time next week, we should be all moved in and nearly clutter free. After the past few months of living and sleeping in a construction zone, I am VERY excited to be putting everything in its place and getting to the fun part: decorating!

-:-

If you are new to my Big Bedroom Swap Around Project, click on the following links to get caught up:

Click here for an overview of and introduction to our project.

Check out this post about the ways we determined bedroom #1 was not really meeting our needs as our guestroom/sewing room.

Check out this post about the ways we determined bedroom #2 was not really meeting our needs as a nursery.

Check out this post about the ways we determined bedroom #3 was not really meeting our needs as our master bedroom.

Check out this post about our new plan to make bedroom #1 our master bedroom.

Check out this post about our new plan to make bedroom #2 my sewing room.

Click here to see what our needs were for the bedroom #3 and click here to find out our plans to make it a kids’ room SLASH guestroom.

Click here to see the kid’s room all painted and ready to move into.

And click here for my last Master Bedroom post on the construction of our walk-in closet.

-:-

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>