The other day, I asked you if you could tell what I did based on this photo…and EVERYONE WINS!
I’ve been highly motivated to work on a number of home projects over the past several months. But it just doesn’t seem healthy to be spending all my days breathing paint fumes and cleaning products at 8-months pregnant. So, with my Spring Cleaning, I decided to go the natural route.
This was my Miracle All-Purpose Cleaner:
I also emptied out every one of my kitchen cupboards and used my all-purpose miracle cleaner to wipe down all the shelves. And then all the bottles and containers before putting them back. No before pictures, but I am VERY much enjoying the organized afters. 🙂
- I cleaned out all my drains (kitchen sink, disposal, bathroom sink, shower, and toilet) by dumping about 1/2 c. of baking soda down the drain and then following it with about 1/2 c. straight vinegar. I know that the chemical reaction that takes place doesn’t necessarily mean that cleaning is going on…but it IS very satisfying to see it all bubble and foam up.
- I used a lot of baking soda as a scouring (scrubbing) powder for the shower mat, tub, faucets, toilet, sinks, microwave… (PS. On the microwave, it also helps if you microwave a bowl of water for 3 minutes or so before cleaning to soften up all that cooked on grime.)
- I soaked the tub and all the bath toys in the tub with hot water and a bunch of vinegar (I think it is supposed to be a mild disinfectant, without all the fumes of bleach…could be wrong).
- I also sprinkled baking soda in the bottom of my trash cans and refrigerator for continued deodorant action.
- The lemon koolaid (in the above photo) was for the dishwasher. I dumped it in where you usually put soap, filled it the rest of the way with baking soda, and ran a dishwasher cycle with no dishes.
- My favorite method was using half a lemon dipped in baking soda as a scrubbing tool. I used this method to give all my baking stones a good scrub down (you aren’t supposed to use soap on them), and also for the stove top and a few other small kitchen appliances. Like the baking soda/vinegar drain cleaner, it produces a satisfying bubbling reaction… and also smells wonderful…
SO…YES, I nested. YES, I did some Spring Cleaning. YES, I cleaned my dishwasher. YES, I made my kitchen lemony fresh….and, Aunt Boo, you were also correct about the lemonade…
With a few of the lemons we had left after cleaning, I made up some strawberry lemonade slushies (juice from a couple lemons, a bunch of frozen strawberries, a bit of sugar, ice cubes, and enough water to help it blend up).
Do YOU have any natural cleaning tips of tricks to share?
This post is linked up to: